Friday, May 11, 2012

221B


“Hi, is that Kanye West’s, the furriers?”

I was doing my regular late night slot on the wireless yesterday and conversation came around to album cover-related landmarks. Our studio guest, Ian Wade out of http://mybandtshirt.tumblr.com/ related the story of his visit to Paul’s Boutique in New York, and I mentioned that a plaque had recently been unveiled at the site of the iconic image on the sleeve of David Bowie’s The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders from Mars. I suggested that this was only the second such commemoration afforded to a fictional character. Co-curator Neale, perhaps still distracted by the failure of his Cocteau Twins-themed karaoke idea, wondered aloud who the other one was dedicated to. “I’ll give you a clue” I said. “It’s in Baker Street”.

“Ah, of course”. He nodded sagely. “Gerry Rafferty…”     

No comments: